Thursday, 17 June 2010

Thursday 17th June

We’ve had power cuts tonight, hence the late postings.


Much the best game so far today. Is that the considered view at home? Two teams at the top of their form, and some great goals. Argentina play three at the back, which always confuses me, and - typical of the manager - they are a bit disorganised, players wandering everywhere, though maybe that’s their version of Total Football, that’s what people will say if they win. The South Koreans meanwhile were better organised, with two holding midfielders (a formation I am now converted to..) and the side pivoting around (the Man U) Park.

As with the last game I saw here the first goal was an own goal, though here set up by a “teasing” Messi free kick. In the first half it was all Argentina, and in the first part of the second half all SK, but then Argentina started knocking them in and the Koreans ended up well-beaten.

I had some seats higher up than last time, so with a good view of the play, surrounded by what I think must have been a tour group of Argies, all in their no 10 shirts with their name on, so they looked a bit wally-ish, of course I didn’t tell them this. Little vuvuzela action with this lot, unfortunately, and the drone was a lot less than for the Brazilians: the Argies are more singers and chanters, and I think there were fewer Saffers than the other games I’ve been to. At the end the Argies all hang around their drummer and sing “Oya, Oya Argentina” or something over and over again.

I actually set off for the game at 10.15 today, given my worries about parking and my new worry about having double booked seats. So I was parked up in the Aeroton Car Park a full two hours before the game. At breakfast today I was holding a parking seminar for my fellow guests, passing on my parking tips and tricks. Two people were aiming to take in both Soccer City and the France game tonight up in Polokwane.

I might have left a bit too long for the crowds to die down after the match as the car park was almost deserted when I got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment