Saturday, 19 June 2010

OK, I was wrong, football's rubbish

So I thought that rather than watch England here in my cosy room or at Dros's steak bar, I would go and sample the fun and excitement of the Real Africa at the Fan Fest in Soweto. Loads of poor Africans celebrating their nationhood under the cold African moon. Only football can bring these people out to celebrate together. And the Brits will gather to cheer on their heroes together. The football family coming together..


Nope.

Elkah Stadium turns out to be a big field, with a few tents from the sponsors, about a couple of hundred stewards, volunteers, police and (including me) no less than three England fans. But to be fair the screen was pretty good. Even with my many layers it was freezing cold (that’s what put off the Sowetans apparently). Luckily beverages were available so I drowned my sorrows in a couple of ice cool Cokes.

And if that wasn’t one of the most dismal England performances in living memory.... oh never mind, let’s just it leave it there...

1 comment:

  1. I had even used my free Sun England flags to hang from the PO windows, in a if you cant beat up join em effort, and bought raffle tickets for the best seats in the house for the Bell viewing room. My support has not translated into a decent England game Sorry to hear there was lack of atmosphere at Elkah!

    ReplyDelete